Monday, June 29, 2015

How to Report Abuse of the Elderly or Disabled in Texas

In Texas, abuse of an elderly person or disabled person should be reported to Adult Protective Services which is a part of the Department of Family and Protective Services.

Adult Protective Services investigates allegations of abuse against elderly and disabled persons whether they occur in home or in a facility. If a person is found to be a victim of abuse they may be eligible for short-term help with medical care, transportation, food, shelter, home repairs, managing money, home healthcare services, or mental health services.

For fiscal year 2014, APS intake totaled 18,701 complaints for the Houston area.  Abuse of elderly and disabled persons has gained more widespread awareness in the past few years. 

Elderly or disabled persons may be abused or exploited in a variety of ways whether physical, sexual, financial, or they may be neglected. Unable to speak for themselves, the elderly and disabled are vulnerable and may suffer verbal abuse, broken bones, cuts, bruises, bedsores, or malnutrition.

A person may also be neglected and living an unsafe or unsanitary conditions. Financial exploitation can result in funds or assets being stolen by a third party.

In addition to reporting suspected abuse, there are other ways that you can help. The Department of family and protective services maintains resource rooms that contain medical supplies and other supplies necessary for daily life in order to help elderly and disabled persons. There are also volunteer opportunities. To learn more about this click here.

If you live outside Texas, your area will have similar methods of reporting.  Check the internet, or call Protective Services or local law enforcement in your area. 

"Passionate, Professional & Personal. We Make the Difference." For Over Thirty Years.
Se habla espaƱol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.