Monday, August 10, 2015

Keeping Yourself Safe- Know the Risks of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a silent killer that can kill in minutes.   Keep yourself and your family safe from this hazard by following these tips:

  1. Never run generators in indoor spaces, even in garages, porches or sheds.  Only operate them outdoors in an open space, away from and downwind of buildings. 
  2. Don't use a gas range or oven for warmth. 
  3. Don't use a charcoal or barbeque grill in your home or garage. 
  4. Don't start up gasoline engines for tools in small or enclosed spaces. 
  5. Don't use a stove or fireplace unless it is properly ventilated.
  6. Don't run your car or truck in an attached garage with the door shut, or let it idle there. 
Symptoms of CO poisoning are nausea, headache, dizziness, shortness of breath, sleepiness, weakness.  

Space heaters that give off CO are hazardous, especially because they are often used when people are already sleeping, so they don't notice the symptoms of CO poisoning.

Also be aware of CO dangers to your pets, especially when they are alone in the house, and to pets and livestock in their shelters. 

If you suspect CO, open all the doors and windows, get out and call the file department, gas department or 911. 

Consider having a CO detector which is battery-operated (or has a battery backup). Check and maintain the detector, but still follow all safety precautions. 

(Thanks to the New York State Department of Health for this summary) 

"Passionate, Professional & Personal. We Make the Difference." For Over Thirty Years.
Se habla espaƱol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.