WELL... I say it every year and I'm going to say it again! It is time to review your visitation orders and think about your holiday schedule!
A lot of conflict can be prevented by reviewing your plans in advance. Make sure that your court orders really say what you think they say.
From mid-October through January 2nd, the calendar is chock full of celebrations, holidays, parties, religious observances, days off, family traditions, get-togethers and other events.
Planning ahead prevents misunderstandings, additional stress, hurt feelings, and disappointed children.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Check your court orders or mediated agreement
- Calendar the times that you have visitation.
- Ask your children to sit down with you and tell you about any events that they have heard about.
- Check your child's school calendar, your extended family schedule, and your church/temple/mosque events.
- Communicate with your ex (if possible) to find out what else may be planned.
- Put definite events and tentative events on a big calendar in different color print.
- Don't request "last minute' changes from with your ex if at all possible.
End of the year is usually not "stress-free", but you can help it be a little less stressful by planning ahead.