If a loved one recently passed and you are in charge of arrangements, you will need to decide how many death certificates to order. This is often taken care of by the funeral director as part of the funeral arrangements.
Here is a general list to show how many certificates may be needed:
- One for each close family member.
- One for each financial institution that the deceased had dealings with. (including banks, stocks, investment firms, credit unions).
- One for each employer/benefits administrator/union that provided a benefit.
- One for each state or federal agency that you will be dealing with.
- One for the attorney who will be helping with the estate.
- An additional one to four copies for yourself for later use.